[ncl-install] Problem displaying to X11 window [Was: (no subject)]

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu May 7 08:07:36 MDT 2009

Dear Trinh Vo,

The error message:

    warning:GKS:GOPWK: --X driver error: error opening display

is indicating that either X11 server is not running on your Mac, or
you don't have your DISPLAY environment variable set on the remote
machine, which allows you to display any X11 applications back to your
Mac.

First, make sure you have an X11 server running on your Mac. If you're
not sure about this, go to:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/macosx.shtml#InstallXServer

read about how to download X11 for your Mac, and then start it up.

Then, try logging into your remote system again.  You might need to
login with either "ssh -X" or "ssh -Y" to make sure that your DISPLAY
environment variable gets set correctly on your remote system.

You can check that it is getting set by typing (from your cluster
window):

   printenv DISPLAY

If nothing is echoed back, then you'll need to check with the
administrator of the cluster about how to get this working.

--Mary