[ncl-install] trouble compiling NCAR graphics on new Mac OSX machine

Ronald L. Gilliland gillil at stsci.edu
Tue Mar 17 12:51:53 MDT 2009

Hi Mary,

    As usual your roughly every five years advice to me has been
excellent.
    I'm now able to compile a simple Fortran program with gfortran
calling NCAR graphics, and have it generate a metafile that properly
displays.

    A residual concern, that I now notice happens even with a run
of the test 'ncargex cpex08'  is that several lines of warning result:
(similar lines follow from my fortran compile, although both cpex08
and my fortran executable seen to do the right thing)
% ncargex cpex08

NCAR Graphics Fortran  Example <cpex08>

   Copying cpex08.f

   Copying cpexcc.f

Compiling and linking...
gfortran -fPIC -fno-range-check -O -o cpex08 cpexcc.f cpex08.f -L/usr/
local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lncarg -lncarg_gks -lncarg_c -lXpm -lX11 -
lXext -lpng -lz
ld: warning for symbol _gkstat_ tentative definition of size 544 from /
usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gsplci.o) is being replaced by a real
definition of size 532 from /usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gksbd.o)
ld: warning for symbol _gkstat_ tentative definition of size 544 from /
usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gqlwsc.o) is is smaller than the real
definition of size 532 from /usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gksbd.o)
ld: warning for symbol _vctseq_ tentative definition of size 512 from /
usr/local/lib/libncarg.a(plotif.o) is being replaced by a real
definition of size 508 from /usr/local/lib/libncarg.a(utilbd.o)
  .
  .
  .
ld: warning for symbol _vctseq_ tentative definition of size 512 from /
usr/local/lib/libncarg.a(plotit.o) is is smaller than the real
definition of size 508 from /usr/local/lib/libncarg.a(utilbd.o)

Executing <cpex08>...
  PLOT TITLE WAS EXAMPLE 8
  INTEGER WORKSPACE USED          120
     REAL WORKSPACE USED          400
     AREA MAP SPACE USED        93250
  PLOT TITLE WAS EXAMPLE 8
  INTEGER WORKSPACE USED          120
     REAL WORKSPACE USED          400
     AREA MAP SPACE USED       866064

Metafile file is named cpex08.ncgm.

Are the warnings something to be concerned about, or that I can
dispense with?

Thanks,
Ron