[ncl-install] gcfortran vs PGI

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 4 13:51:15 MST 2009

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Sarah Thompson wrote:

> I am a sysadmin and have installed the 5.0 binaries on Redhat 5 for one
> of my developers.
>
> I have run your tests
>
> ng4ex gsun01n
> ncl gsun01n.ncl
> ncargex cpex08
>
> and they all run correctly, although It's looking like they are using
> gcfortran.
> I have setup environmental variables for  FC, F77 and F90 to use PGI
> (pgf90, pgf77 etc....) but when I run a script that my developer has
> given me to test I get this error right away
> gfortran: -lncarg: linker input file unused because linking not done
>
> and then a whole bunch of undefined references to pgf90.
> I am in no way a developer, and am really stuck at this point.  Is it
> not looking at my environment variables?  Do I need to tell my developer
> to link something in his code?  I'm lost.  Thanks, Sarah
>
> --
> Sarah Thompson

Sarah,

When you run "ncargex" and "ng4ex", they are using hard-coded values
for the compiler, so your environment settings will not affect the
compilers used by these scripts.

As for the script your developer gave you, I need more information.
Can you email me the script?

As a side, the error:

   gfortran: -lncarg: linker input file unused because linking not done

seems to indicate that you are trying to link the libraries during the
non-link phase. You only want to include them when you are doing the
file link for the binary.

As a second side, you should be able to use the PGI compilers to link
against the GNU-compiled NCAR Graphics. However, you may need to
include some GNU libraries during the final link phase like
"-lgfortran".