[ncl-install] question concerning intallation of NCL 5.1.1 32-bit binary for i686 chips for LINUX

sb792726 at albany.edu sb792726 at albany.edu
Mon Jun 22 10:45:19 MDT 2009

To whom it may concern,

Hi, I am currently trying to install NCL 5.1.1 32-bit binary for i686
chips for LINUX (compiled with gcc 4.1.2) off the earth system grid
webpage to my linux machine (fedora version 5). My reason for the
installation is to convert grib files to netcdf files. I successfully
gunzipped and untared the program in my directory and it created all
necessary bin, lib and include directories. I have also set the NCARG_ROOT
environment variable and my search path to where NCL/NCARG resides.
However, when i got to run the program to convert one of my grib files to
netcdf by typing “ncl_convert2nc gribfile.grib” i receive an error message
of:

processing file: narr-a_221_19970611_2100_000_1000mb.grb...
ncl: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open

I think the cause of this message is due to the fact that i am running
such an old version of fedora that my compilers and libraries are all out
of date. I did receive prior instructions for a Mary Haley who sent me a
file “libstdc++.so.6.0.10” with a list of instructions. However even after
installing this library i still received the above error message. If
anyone as any additional advise to solve this problem i would greatly
appreciate it. Thank you.

-Sean