[ncl-install] question concerning installation of NCL 5.1.1 64-bit binary for x86_64 chips for LINUX (compiled with gcc 3.3.0)

sb792726 at albany.edu sb792726 at albany.edu
Fri Jun 19 15:13:31 MDT 2009

To whom it may concern,

Hi, I am currently trying to install  NCL 5.1.1 64-bit binary for x86_64
chips for LINUX (compiled with gcc 3.3.0) off the earth system grid
webpage to my linux machine (fedora version 5). my reason for the
intallation is to convert grib files to netcdf files. I successfully
gunzipped and untared the program in my directory and it created all
necessary bin,lib and include direcories. I have also set the NCARG_ROOT
environment variable and my search path to where NCL/NCARG resides.
However, when i go to run the program to convert one of my grib files to
netcdf by typing "ncl_convert2nc gribfile.grb" i recieve a message of:

/grib/sbratton/bin/ncargpath: Exec format error. Binary file not executable.
Processing file: narr-a_221_19970611_2100_000_1000mb.grb...
/grib/sbratton/bin/ncl: Exec format error. Binary file not executable.

Im not sure of why this is. If you could provide any support concerning
this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Sean Bratton