[ncl-install] NCL w/DAP on Ubuntu 9.04 (Problem with BaseType)

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 23 08:02:04 MDT 2009

Hi John,

Let me preface this email with a statement that the OPeNDAP libraries
are not trivial to build. I recommend that people use the precompiled
NCL/OPeNDAP libraries, if available. If you still need to build from
source, I'll try to help.

Did you follow the instructions at:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/build_from_src.shtml#OPeNDAP

for building this software for NCL?

The error message you got:

   ncl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libnc-dap.so.3: undefined symbol:
    _ZN6libdap8BaseType3opsEPS0_iRKSs

indicates it is using a system version of libnc-dap and not your own
version, unless this is where you installed your own version.

I don't believe the problems you're having are related specifically to
Ubuntu. Usually it's an issue of getting the compiler options correct,
using the correct versions of the software, and using the latest
compilers.

Before you started the OPenDAP builds, did you set any environment
variables, like CFLAGS, CC, FC, etc? If not, did you set any special
options on the "configure" line for these libraries?

In case it helps, here are the settings I used:

   CC=gcc
   CXX=g++
   FC=gfortran
   F77=gfortran
   F90=gfortran
   CFLAGS=-fPIC
   CPPFLAGS='-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE'
   FFLAGS=-fPIC
   F90FLAGS=-fPIC
   CXXFLAGS=-fPIC

Here are the versions of the libraries I compiled:

    libdap-3.8.2  (do not use 3.9.x)
    libnc-dap-3.7.3

I don't normally need to build curl, xml2, or openssl, but if I did, I
would use:

     curl-7.19.3
     openssl-0.9.8a
     libxml2-2.6.30

If you are using the system versions of these libraries, you might
want to make sure they are not old versions.

If none of this helps, then if you can type:

     uname -a
     gcc --version
     g++ --version

and send me the output, I'll see if I have these libraries already
built on a similar system.

--Mary