[ncl-install] Fwd: Problems installing NCAR Graphics on Fedora 10

Joakim Kjellsson jokj7135 at student.su.se
Thu Jan 29 08:30:34 MST 2009

 Hi

 I'm using Fedora 10 and installed ncl, ncl-devel and ncl-exmples using the
commands:

 yum install ncl
 yum install ncl-devel
 yum install ncl-examples

 The version installed is 5.0.0

 If I type ncargex -A -list (which should display a list of all available
 examples) I get the following answer:

 Example directory </home/Jocke/Program/NCL/share/ncarg/examples> does not exist.

 Now, the folder /home/Jocke/Program/NCL/ is where I tried to install ncl from
 binaries, and added (as instructed from the
 http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml site) this path to my $PATH in
 the .bashrc-file.

 Since it didn't work, I erased the folder /home/Jocke/Program/NCL/ and the extra
 lines in the .bashrc-file, and installed using yum.
 Now it seems that ncl stills expects to find the files in
 /home/Jocke/Program/NCL/ although they are in /usr/bin/ (I think). If I write

 echo $PATH

 I get

 /usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/home/Jocke/Program/NCL/bin:/home/Jocke/bin

 so the old NCL-path is still in my $PATH, and ncl is mad since it can't find
 anything there.

 Since ncl can't find examples, I'm supposing it will have a hard time finding
 other stuff (like map-folders and such).

 How do I solve this?

 /Jocke Kjellsson
 Department of Meteorology, Stockholm University, Sweden