[ncl-install] Re: [ncl-talk] about the installation of ncl

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Jan 8 08:28:34 MST 2009

In the future, please post questions about NCL installation to
"ncl-install at ucar.edu" and not "ncl-talk at ucar.edu". You need to
subscribe, just like you did with ncl-talk:

Meanwhile, I think the first problem is that you downloaded the source
code, and not the NCL binaries for Linux.  With source code, you need
to use a compiler to build the software. With binaries, the software
has already been compiled for you.

To get the correct Linux binaries, you need to first type the following
UNIX commands, to see what kind of system you have:

    uname -a
    gcc --version

If "uname -a" reports "x86_64", then you need to download one of the
two sets of binaries:

   NCL 5.0.0 64-bit binary for x86_64 chips for LINUX (compiled with gcc 3.x)
   NCL 5.0.0 64-bit binary for x86_64 chips for LINUX (compiled with gcc 4.x)

depending on whether "gcc --version" reports that you have version 3
or 4.

If "uname -a" reports "i686" or "i386", then you need one of:

   NCL 5.0.0 32-bit binary for i686 chips for LINUX (compiled with gcc 3.x)
   NCL 5.0.0 32-bit binary for i686 chips for LINUX (compiled with gcc 4.x)

If "uname -a" reports "ia64", then the only option you have is:

   NCL 5.0.0 64-bit binary for IA64 chips for LINUX (compiled with gcc 3.x)

These binaries can be found by going to the same
www.earthsystemgrid.org website where you got the "src" file, but this
time, go to:

   Latest NCL release --> NCL 5.0.0 binaries (not OPeNDAP-enabled)

and download the appropriate file. Then, follow the instructions at:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml

for installing NCL from a pre-compiled binary.

Secondly, as for setting your environment variables, I think you are
doing the right thing. It's just that you didn't have NCL installed,
so this might have been the problem.

You said you put the lines in your .bashrc file, which is correct.
You will need to log out of your Linux window and log back in, for the
environment variables to take effect.  You can verify that they are
set by typing on the UNIX command line in your Linux window:

    env | grep NCARG_ROOT
    env | grep PATH
    env | grep DISPLAY

You will want to do all this after you install the NCL binaries, and
then you can type:

    ncl -V

to see if NCL is working and if your path is correct.

To try an example and to see if DISPLAY is set correctly, type:

    ng4ex gsun01n -clean

Good luck,

--Mary