[ncl-install] undefined symbol: sd_ncvargetg

Sourish Basu sbasu at physics.cornell.edu
Tue Dec 8 14:18:36 MST 2009

Oops, I forgot that nio.so was looking for sd_ncvargetg, not just
ncvargetg. So who's supposed to define this symbol?

Hi All,

    I've been trying to install PyNIO from source, and I get this error
when I try to import the installed Nio module:

ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PyNIO/nio.so: undefined
symbol: sd_ncvargetg

As far as I can see, this is defined in libnetcdf.a:

nm /usr/local/lib/libnetcdf.a | grep ncvargetg
000005b0 T ncvargetg

and I compiled PyNIO with HAS_NETCDF4=1 and NETCDF4_PREFIX=/usr/local

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

-Sourish Basu