[ncl-install] warning messages

Ronald L. Gilliland gillil at stsci.edu
Tue Apr 7 13:12:58 MDT 2009

Hello,

   I recently installed ncar graphics on my new Intel-based
Mac laptop running 10.5.6.  After a modest amount of trying,
and good advice from Mary I now have this working just fine
with both gfortran, and Intel fortran (invoking the 32-bit version
of the latter).

   The only glitch is that compilations and loading with both
gfortran and Intel fortran result in a long list of warning messages.
The first two lines of an example using ifort are shown at the
end here.  The executables seem perfectly fine, but is there a
way to suppress these loader warning messages?  (Mary had
noted these were benign when I mentioned these after compiling
with gfortran.  They're still here compiling with ifort.)
   I took the desperate step of reading all the options I could
find for compilers/linkers regarding warning messages and
was unable to find anything to get rid of them.

   Not essential, but would be nice to drop these.

make -f make.plcmd
ifort -c -m32 -assume byterecl plcmd.f
ifort -m32  -o plcmd.out plcmd.o -L/usr/local/lib	-L/usr/X11R6/lib	-L/
sw/lib	-lncarg	-lcgm	-lncarg_gks	-lncarg_c -lXpm	-lX11	-lXext-lpng	-
lg2c	-lgfortran
ld: warning for symbol _vctseq_ tentative definition of size 512 from /
usr/local/lib/libncarg.a(plotif.o) is is smaller than the real
definition of size 508 from /usr/local/lib/libncarg.a(utilbd.o)
ld: warning for symbol _gkstat_ tentative definition of size 544 from /
usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gzckwk.o) is being replaced by a real
definition of size 532 from /usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gksbd.o)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ron