[ncl-install] No ncl or ncview executables

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 31 11:22:55 MDT 2008

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Applequist Scott Dr Civ 14WS/DOED wrote:

> I've just followed the installation from source instructions on
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/build_from_src.shtml.  Things seem to
> work up to the point of testing the NCL and/or NCAR Graphics
> installation.  My $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ directory does not contain an ncl
> executable.  It does, however, contain ng4ex and 46 other files created
> in this step, along with those like ncdump and hdfimport installed
> earlier.  I can't find anything in the 23000+ lines of output of "make
> Everything >& make-output &"  to indicate a compilation failure.  The
> ncargex examples work, as do both ctrans and idt.

The "ncview" executable (which you mentioned in the subject) is not
part of NCL. This is a separate application available from:

    http://meteora.ucsd.edu/~pierce/ncview_home_page.html

Also, just to be clear, "ncdump" and "hdfimport" are not part of
NCL. Many other executables that you see are also from other packages.

These were installed when you built NetCDF and HDF4.

You can see a master list of NCL files that should have been
installed at http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/files/NCL_NCARG_files.txt.

As for the "ncl" executable, the compilation probably failed. The
build still tries to continue and install other files, however.

Can you email me your "make-output" file separately?

> System info:
> Linux 64-bit with PGI compilers.  The LINUX.64.PGI gets selected for use
> in $NCARG/config/.

Note: for Linux systems, the NCARG configuration file that gets used
is always "$NCARG/config/LINUX". The LINUX.64.PGI file is just a
sample. So, if you make changes to $NCARG/config/LINUX.64.PGI, you
need to copy this file to $NCARG/config/LINUX.