[ncl-install] HDF

Rick Grubin grubin at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 27 14:19:51 MST 2008

Hi Dimitra,

> I try to install HDF4.2r3 in a x86_64 system that runs opensuse10.2
> in order to install NCARG graphics.
> I try to build the libraries from the source.  The configuration
> seems OK.
> --------------
>
> Configure Summary
> =================
>
> Compiling Options:
> ------------------
> Compilation Mode:  Default
> C Compiler:  gcc
> CFLAGS:   -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer
> CPPFLAGS:  -I/usr/include/rpc  -DBIG_LONGS -DSWAP
> LDFLAGS:
>
> Languages:
> ----------
> Fortran:  Yes
> Fortran Compiler:  g77
> FFLAGS:   -Wsign-compare -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer
>
> HDF support for NetCDF-3 APIs:
> ------------------------------
> HDF4-NetCDF:  No

> -------
>
>  After ' gmake install' I receive the following
> errors:
>
> main.o: In function `main':
> main.c:(.text+0x6d): undefined reference to `yyin'
> main.c:(.text+0x7b): undefined reference to `yyout'
> main.c:(.text+0x1c5): undefined reference to `yyin'
> ncgentab.o: In function `yyparse':
> ncgentab.c:(.text+0x57c): undefined reference to `yylex'

> - - -
> I have installed bison, yacc, flex, etc

It appears that your HDF build is succeeding in creating the
necessary libraries but failing when trying to build associated
tools, in particular
the tool 'ncgen.'   Please note that 'ncgen' as provided by the HDF
distribution is not necessary to build NCAR Graphics and NCL.

It has been my experience in building HDF on a fairly wide variety of
platforms that sometimes the libraries build correctly, and the tools
do not.  I do not worry about the tools, because as noted they're not
necessary, and I move on.  As well, the netCDF distribution provides the
same subset of tools (ncgen, ncdump).

My suggestion would be to verify the libraries are indeed  built, and
proceed with the rest of the process to build NCAR Graphics.

Please note: the NCL team does not support the HDF source code, nor
the building of it in its entirety.  If you are uncomfortable with the
notion of an incomplete overall build of HDF, please contact their
support staff for further assistance.

----
Rick Grubin      NCAR/TDD/CISL/VETS
Visualization + Enabling Technologies