[ncl-install] Some corrections to NCL installation troubleshooting

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Aug 4 09:26:49 MDT 2008

> Hi Mary,
>
> You can see the #include<hdf/netcdf.h> in the 5.0.0 source code downloaded
> from the ESG web site.

Hi Jan,

The "hdf/netcdf.h" reference has been removed since V5.0.0 was released,
because it was causing a conflict between NetCDF and HDF.  I'm not sure
how certain external variables are now getting defined, however, and
that is what I'm tracking down.

> Today I discovered another build glitch (on another Linux machine). When
> it came to linking in the ni/src/ncl directory:
>
> gcc -ansi -fPIC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -O  -rdynamic
> -o ncl Ncl.o io.o NclHLUObj.o scanner.o parser.o MathFuncs.o
> qu2reg3.f:(.text+0xb2): undefined reference to `_gfortran_st_write'
> qu2reg3.f:(.text+0xc2): undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_transfer_integer'  qu2reg3.f:(.text+0xca): undefined reference
> to `_gfortran_st_write_done'
>

> To fix this error, I ran the above command manually with 'gcc' replaced by
> 'gfortran'. I guess this should be corrected somewhere in the makefile
> generation process.

The other way to fix this is to include -lgfortran on the compile line.
NCL is C-based, and that's why the C compiler is being used to do
the linking.

I'll include this in our trouble-shooting notes.

--Mary