[ncl-install] Some corrections to NCL installation troubleshooting

Jan Ploski Jan.Ploski at offis.de
Fri Aug 1 14:56:48 MDT 2008

Hello,

Today I had to install NCL 5.0.0 from source again. I took it as an
opportunity to test the workarounds described here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/build_from_src.shtml

I noticed some inaccuracies, explained below.

1) The workaround described in the following paragraph is insufficient:

 > then you need to edit the two files:
 > $NCARG/ni/src/ncl/NclHDF.c
 > $NCARG/ni/src/ncl/NclHDFEOS.c
 > and remove the line:
 > #include <hdf/netcdf.h>

Besides of removing the said #include lines, I had to add
#include<netcdf.h> at the very beginning of the includes list in both
source files. (It didn't work when I put it at the same line where
hdf/netcdf.h used to be.)

2) The workaround with downloading wrapit.c turned out to be
insufficient, too. I had first to "rm *.o y.tab.* lex.yy.*" in the
ni/src/mkwrap, then download your version of wrapit.c, and finally
recompile as suggested. Without the first cleanup step I was getting
this new error:

wrapit.o(.text+0x22): In function `FType':
: multiple definition of `FType'

Regards,
Jan Ploski