[ncl-install] Building NCAR Graphics from Source: Bus Error on SiCortex SC648

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Apr 4 16:13:37 MDT 2008

Hi Steve,

This is a new system to me, so I'm treading on unfamiliar ground here.

In the $NCARG/common/src/libncarg_c directory are the gbytes/sbytes
routines.  There are two ways to get the code for these routines:
through "gbytes.f"/"sbytes.f" or through "gsbytes.c".

For a 64-bit system, you want to use gbytes.f and sbytes.f and *not*
gsbytes.c.

So, hopefully the solution to your problem is as simple as editing the
yMakefile in $NCARG/common/src/libncarg_c, and adding recognition of
your machine to the "#elif" commands you see in here.

For example (and I don't know the correction preprocessor word to use
here; I'm just using "mips64" as an example):

#elif defined(linux) && defined(mips64)
EXCSRCS = logic32.c
EXFSRCS = gbytes.f sbytes.f
EXOBJS  = sbytes.o gbytes.o logic32.o

You will need to know what to use for "mips64". It might be
"mips64", or even something like "_mips64".

Once you do this, run "make Everything" again to make sure these
changes take effect, and also make sure that sbytes.o and gbytes.o are
getting compiled into the "libncarg_c.a" library, and not
"gsbytes.c". This is important!

I assume this is a big endian machine? If not, then there may
be some additional steps you need. Let me know.

--Mary