[ncl-install] Oops! Stuck installation

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sun Nov 25 06:45:08 MST 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Michael Allen wrote:

> I'm running an x86_64 dual processor (Opteron 248) machine with 2 GB RAM and
> 3/4 TB RAID system.  I'm also runing fedora core 6, 2.6.22.9-61.fc6.  My
> installation, however, is not going well!
>
> I tried installing the binary version and although NCL seemed to install
> correctly, I received a message that my system was missing libcurl.so.4,
> although I have the curl libraries installed for fedora core 6.

Hi Michael,

For starters, it sounds like you downloaded the OPeNDAP-enabled binaries.
If you don't need OPeNDAP capabilities, then I suggest downloading
the non-OPeNDAP bianries. This will get rid of the libcurl dependency,
plus several others.

> Next I downloaded the source code for NCL.  When running the blockdata test
> file, however, no matter what I placed into the make file as a fortran 77
> compiler, I received error messages.  I have the standard compilers
> installed, such as compat -gcc-34, -c++, and f77 as well as the gcc compilers
> (and gfortran, the fortran 95 compiler).  I've compiled lots of packages
> before and never had a problem.  Even LDM installed correctly.
>
> Do you have any further suggestions?
>
> Michael Allen
> Minneapolis, MN

Can you send me the output from all of your blockdata tests, with the
various compilers you used? I don't normally have problems with g77,
g95, or gfortran, so I'm surprised to hear you are running into this.

--Mary