[ncl-install] Re: [ncl-talk] ncl installation

Rick Grubin grubin at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 19 15:25:37 MST 2007

Hello,

First, for future reference, there is now a mail list for NCL install
questions, see:  http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/ncl-install
> I have installed ncl_ncarg-5.0.0.Linux_x86_64_gcc3.tar on my x86_64-
> linux using the binaries compiled with gcc 3.x from ESG
>
> While checking the installation, i get the error
> $ ncl gsun01n.ncl
> ncl: error while loading shared libraries: libg2c.so.0: cannot open
>
> Where should be libg2c.so.0 file?

You must have the GCC C compiler (v3.x) libraries installed on your
host.  The requirement of having libg2c.so is a vestige of
this version of the GCC tools, as the gcc/g77 compilers required this
library to interact.

Newer (v4.x) versions of the GCC compilers don't have this library
requirement; if you can use a GCC v4.x compiled binary,
that may be a better option for you.

You can set the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to
where libg2c.so lives, as:

csh shells:  setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH  /path/to/libg2c

sh shells:  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/libg2c

----
Rick Grubin      NCAR/TDD/CISL/VETS
Visualization + Enabling Technologies
grubin at ucar.edu             303.497.1832