[ncarg-talk] contour over map (from CISM output)

Michele Petrini - CITG M.Petrini at tudelft.nl
Tue May 8 15:21:49 MDT 2018

Dear helpdesk,

I am trying to plot Greenland ice thickness (from CISM model) contour over a map, but I get an error I never had before - so far, I plotted ice thickness contours using outputs from different ice sheet models with no problems. Below you can find the code

begin

in = "./data/"
out = "./results/"
H_filename = "ice_thickness.nc"
H_file = addfile(in+H_filename,"r")

H            = H_file->thk
time_sim         = ispan(0,16100,100)
ny =  dimsizes(H&y1)
nx =  dimsizes(H&x1)
ntime = dimsizes(time_sim)

H at _FillValue = -999.

H = mask(H,H.lt..1,False)

lat1 = fspan(58.25,84.61,ny)
lat1 at units = "degrees_north"
lat1!0 = "lat"
lat1 at long_name = "latitude"
lat1 at standard_name = "latitude"
lat1 at axis = "Y"
print(lat1)
lon1 = fspan(-95.68,13.33,nx)
lon1 at units = "degrees_east"
lon1!0 = "lon"
lon1 at long_name = "longitude"
lon1 at standard_name = "longitude"
lon1 at axis = "X"

H!1 = "lat"
H!2 = "lon"
H&lat = lat1
H&lon = lon1

minlat = 58.25
maxlat = 84.61
minlon = -95.68
maxlon = 13.33

  res                       = True              ; plot mods desired
  ;res at gsnDraw               = False
  ;res at gsnFrame              = False
  res at cnFillOn              = True              ; turn on color
  res at cnFillMode            = "RasterFill"
  res at cnLinesOn             = False
  res at cnLineLabelsOn        = False
  res at lbLabelBarOn          = False             ; turn off individual lb's

  res at trGridType            = "TriangularMesh"

  res at mpProjection          = "Stereographic"
  res at mpDataBaseVersion     = "mediumres"
  res at mpFillOn              = False             ; turn off default land map fill

  res at mpLimitMode           = "Corners"
  res at mpLeftCornerLatF      = minlat
  res at mpLeftCornerLonF      = minlon
  res at mpRightCornerLatF     = maxlat
  res at mpRightCornerLonF     = maxlon
  res at mpCenterLonF          = 0
  res at mpCenterLatF          = 90
  res at gsnLeftString         = ""
  res at gsnRightString        = ""
  res at cnFillPalette        = "testcmap"
  res at cnLevelSelectionMode = "ManualLevels"     ; set manual contour levels
  res at cnMinLevelValF       =     0.
  res at cnMaxLevelValF       =     1.
  res at cnLevelSpacingF      =     0.2
  res at tfDoNDCOverlay      = "DataTransform"

do i=0,ntime-1
wks = gsn_open_wks("pdf","./results/image-"+sprinti("%03i",i))
        print("simulation time(" + i + ") = " + time_sim(i))
        res at gsnRightString = "Simulation time: " + time_sim(i) + " (yr)"
ice = new((/ny,nx/),double)
ice(:,:) = H(i,:,:)
plot = new(1,graphic)
plot(0) = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,ice,res)
delete(wks)
end do

cmd = "cd ./results/ ; pdflatex movie.tex"
system(cmd)

end

whereas the error I get is the following

fatal:Or: operation not supported on type (string)
fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 3642 in file /usr/local/ncl-6.4.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 7985 in file /usr/local/ncl-6.4.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 11287 in file /usr/local/ncl-6.4.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 80 in file contour_movie.ncl

I can’t find any suggestion by looking at previous questions and I really don’t understand what the problem can be.
thanks!

best,
Michele

Michele Petrini

PhD in Earth Science and Fluid Mechanics
Department of Geoscience and Remote Sensing, TUDelft
Delft, The Netherlands

M.Petrini at tudelft.nl<mailto:M.Petrini at tudelft.nl>
+39 3398367372
michele.petrins (Skype alias)