[ncarg-talk] SST plot showing a blank map on Ubuntu machine

Yusri Yusup yusriy at usm.my
Thu Aug 2 10:02:38 MDT 2018

Hi all,

I have a problem with generating a simple SST plot (the data is available online at the NASA’s ocean color website and mentioned in the script but I think it is not due to any particular dataset). I attach the script below.

I can run the script on my Mac (Darwin Y Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Thu Jun 21 22:53:14 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4570.71.2~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64NCL version 6.4.0) and got the following plot (first plot). But when using the same script (after changing the directories of course) on my Linux machine (Linux 4.15.0-29-generic #31-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 17 15:39:52 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux; NCL version 6.4.0), I just get this next plot (second plot). If I enable “cnLinesOn” then I do get to see the contour lines.

In the Linux machine, I did change the color scale setting but I don’t think it causes the plot to become blank and I have used multiple color scale values. There was also no error so I cannot figure out what is wrong.

Another detail (might be unrelated) is that I cannot use the HiRes map (rangs) on the Linux machine due to the error “segmented fault (core dumped)” and so I disabled it.

I have been working on it for so many hours and can’t solve it because there was just no warning or error messages to point me to the right direction. Please assist and thanks in advance for the help!

-Yusri
[cid:a225b94f-f25a-4ef4-b351-7ba80a2ceaa5 at apcprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com]
[cid:62fd5a10-89f5-432e-a31e-6926fda8d7b9 at apcprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com]