[ncarg-talk] Sigma to Pressure levels

Akhilesh Mishra akmishra123 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 18:39:17 MST 2016

Dear NCL/NCARg Community,
I have sigma level  temperature, specific humidity, and zonal and
meridional wind components along with surface pressure. I wish to
interpolate this data on prescribed pressure (standard 17) levels. I am
using  NCL's vinth2p function  as

 uap = vinth2p(ua_01,hyam,hybm,plevs,ps_01,1,1000,1,True)

where uap = Zonal wind at pressure level
          ua_01 = Zonal wind at sigma level
          ps_01 = Surface pressure in hPa
          plevs = (/10,20, 30, 50, 70, 100, 150, 200 \
    , 250, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000/)*1.0
         hyam = fspan(0.,0.,18)
         hybm = sigma

My results look fine over most parts of ocean, however, over land values
are too high for 1000hPa zonal winds, especially over the mountaineous
regions with low surface pressure, which is expected but How can I get that
fixed while interpolating, I have used last argument of vinth2p function
TRUE and FALSE both, but no improvement.
I am attaching two picture files one showing surface pressure and other
depicting zonal wind at 1000 hPa interpolated using above function.
Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
Best

Akhilesh
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies
The Florida State University
2000 Levy Av, Building A, Room 252
Tallahassee FL 32310
Phone:  (850) 645-0665