[ncarg-talk] How to read Meteosat data with HDF5 format in NCL .

Seyed Omid Nabavi omid.nabavy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 10:07:40 MDT 2015

Dear NCL users,
I am trying to read Meteosat 5 and 7 (on Indian Ocean) which are in HDF5
(hf) format. As you know this format has no certain data structure. So I
need help form some one how has experience with these data.
My questions are:
1- Data type are in ubyte type and I think it should be unpacked via
dim_gbits function (
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/dim_gbits.shtml).
Hence, I need following information about Meteosat 5 and 7 in Infrared band:

a) A bit-count offset to be used before the first bit chunk is unpacked.
b) The number of bits in each bit chunk to be unpacked.
c) The number of bits to skip between each bit chunk to be unpacked
d) The number of bit chunks to be unpacked

2- Can you please help me to find latitude and longitude information in
metadata?

Please kindly find metadata description and part of data in Infrared band
in the attachment.

Seyed Omid Nabavi;

PhD student, University of Vienna,

Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy

Department of Geography and Regional Research

UZA II Althanstrasse 14 A-1010 Vienna

Uni. Email: seyed.omid.nabavi at unet.univie.ac.at