[ncarg-talk] Trying to compile old code

Raymond D Wright rdw at spacefleet.org.uk
Fri Oct 3 10:33:01 MDT 2014

Hello,

I would appreciate some help, very much. I am trying to run the
meteorological model "MM5" (now superseded by WRF), because I ran it
some years ago and I want to use it now to generate some output, rather
than get to grips with a new model, just yet.

So: MM5 has an initial processor called "TERRAIN" that needs to be
compiled with the ncarg library and the X11 library, to generate some
plots using ncar graphics. Unfortunately, libX11.a is not available in
recent Linux releases. I am using "Scientific Linux 6", which is,
basically, Red Hat Linux. It does not have libX11.a, but it does have
the dynamic libraries.

How do I get it to compile with dynamic libraries, if that's possible at
all?

I have ncar graphics and ncl installed and working.

The section in the Makefile for TERRAIN, for the Intel compiler that I'm
using is below.

Many thanks

Ray

intel:
	echo "Compiling for Linux using INTEL compiler"
	( $(CD) src ; $(MAKE) all				\
	"RM		= $(RM)" 	"RM_LIST	= $(RM_LIST)"	\
	"LN		= $(LN)" 	"MACH		= SGI"		\
	"MAKE		= $(MAKE)"	"CPP		= /lib/cpp"	\
	"CPPFLAGS	= -I. -C -traditional -D$(NCARGRAPHICS) "	\
	"FC		= ifort"	"FCFLAGS	= -I. -convert big_endian"	\
	"LDOPTIONS	= -shared-intel" 		"CFLAGS		= -I."\
	"LOCAL_LIBRARIES= -L/usr/local/ncarg/lib -L/usr/lib64 -lncarg
-lncarg_gks -lncarg_c -lX11 -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.3.3
-lg2c" ) ;