[Narccap-topic-extremes] NARCCAP Extremes - What are you doing?

Hess, Jeremy jhess at emory.edu
Fri Aug 5 10:51:51 MDT 2011

Thanks Bill.

I'm doing some work at CDC on extreme heat events looking retrospectively at a dataset abstracted out from NCDC's data for approximately 100 cities across the US, extrapolating out temperature trends and projecting them forward, and then generating scenarios of extreme heat events for preparedness planning.  It's intentionally relatively low tech, though we will be using some novel approaches based on extreme value theory to generate the estimates of extremes from the projected point estimates.  If anyone has expertise in this area I would love to touch base.  We will also be comparing our (low-tech) estimates with regional downscaled projections for extreme heat events, and I'd like to talk with anyone doing that, as well.

Thanks,

Jeremy Hess, MD, MPH
Senior Medical Advisor, Climate and Health Program, DEHHE, NCEH, CDC