[NARCCAP-discuss] Polar Stereographic

Emma Kearney em.d.kearney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 08:11:33 MDT 2016

Hello all,

I've searched through the discussion archives and was not able to find an
answer to this, but I do apologize if this is a question that has been
answered before.

I'm working with the following RCMs in R using the raster and rgdal
packages: CRCM-ccsm, MM5I-ccsm, WRFG-ccsm, ECP2-gfdl, and RCM3-gfdl.

I have successfully reprojected (using projectRaster command) all of the
RCMs to the CRS of WRFG-ccsm, except the CRCM and ECP2 models. I can plot
the reprojected rasters of CRCM and ECP2, but they are misaligned with the
other RCM raster plots.

I see that CRCM and ECP2 are both polar stereographic projections, while
the others are all either Lambert Conic Conformal or Transverse Mercator.
I'm wondering if their differing "family" of projections is the source of
my issue. Has anyone else encountered this, or experienced similar
reprojection issues with the polar stereographic projection?

I am happy to provide additional information or code chunks if that is
helpful.

Thank you,
Emma Kearney