[NARCCAP-discuss] HRM3-GFDL future time data

lstack at syntectic.com lstack at syntectic.com
Wed Apr 30 12:22:31 MDT 2014

Kelli,
Following on Seth's reply: you can strip February 29th dates out of Excel.
Here's an inelegant method that gets the job done:
• Load your NARCCAP data into an Excel spreadsheet
• Insert two columns
• In the first, create a date series that starts from 1/1/2038 and ends on
12/31/2070 (select a range that is a couple of dozen rows longer than the
length of your data, then fill-series and increment by 1-day increments)
• In the second column that you inserted, select a range that is as long
as the just-created date series. Create an =if() formula that searches
your just-created date series for instances of Month = February and Day =
29. The =if() function will return a true/false flag.
• Select the two columns of date series and 2/29 flags. Sort by the flag.
This moves all 2/29 dates to the beginning or end of the range (depending
on the flags and sort order that you used). Delete the offending dates,
and the column of flags.

If my recipe isn't clear, feel free to email me directly. Do you work with
Phil Mote's team at OSU? Do you know Josh Foster, in Phil's group? I'm up
the road from you in Portland.

Cheers
Latham