[NARCCAP-discuss] precipitation units conversion to cfs

Seth McGinnis mcginnis at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 5 11:38:27 MST 2013

Hi Ibe,

The precipitation data is expressed as a mass flux per unit area.  1 kg
of water = 1 liter of water = 0.0353147 cubic feet of water, so you can
convert from kg/s to cfs by multiplying by 0.0353.  To get rid of the
1/m^2, you need to multiply by whatever area you're aggregating it over.

Cheers,

--Seth