[NARCCAP-discuss] why 50km x 50km

Gutowski, William J [GE AT] gutowski at iastate.edu
Tue May 28 16:01:50 MDT 2013

Jianhua:
	The answer to that question will depend on what field you are
considering.  The scales in the atmosphere with the most energy, mass and
momentum tend to be the synoptic scales and larger, suggesting that an RCM
at 50 km should resolve these scales well and, presumably, their climate
change.  In specific locations, finer scales can be important (one example
is the circulation in mesoscale convective systems), so to some extent,
the answer to your question depends on the physical processes you are
targeting.
	Your question is a good one, and there may be some work out there on it,
but I'm not sure how much or where.  There would have been some
consideration of subgrid variability in papers on internal variability by
René Laprise and colleagues and in papers looking at how best to handle
subgrid variability in the surface of a model grid box.  I did a paper on
one aspect of the latter several years ago (Gutowski et al. 1998, Monthly
Weather Review), but there are many others from around that period.

Bill
--
William J. Gutowski, Jr.

3021 Agronomy Hall
Dept. of Geological & Atmospheric Sciences
Dept. of Agronomy
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa  50011-1010

Tel:  1-515-294-5632