[NARCCAP-discuss] Evaporation Variables

Jonas Roberts jonaspmr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 08:55:54 MST 2013

Hello,

I was hoping you could clarify exactly what the variable EVPS is
representing. The data tables online say it is the "Surface Evaporation of
Condensed Water." Does this include transpiration from plants (ie. does ot
represent the total evapotranspiration rate)?

When I convert HFLS (Surface Latent Heat Flux) to evaporation rate I get
similar results to EVPS, though they are not identical (off by 5-10%).

Is EVPS derived from HFLS directly, in which case my conversion is slightly
off, or is there an inherent difference?

Thanks for your time,

Jonas Roberts
PhD Candidate
Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
Memorial University of Newfoundland
j.roberts at mun.ca