[NARCCAP-discuss] missing time step in crcm cgcm3

Seth McGinnis mcginnis at ucar.edu
Fri Feb 22 15:16:35 MST 2013

Hi Jianhua,

All of the GCM-driven runs of CRCM end at the beginning of December in the
final year.  In general, the models often cannot simulate up to the very end of
the boundary conditions, which is why the official NARCCAP coverage periods end
on November 30th of the appropriate year:
http://www.narccap.ucar.edu/about/time-periods.html  Unfortunately, this
limitation means that these steps cannot be filled in.

We have listed the timesteps that have been filled with missing_data values on
the NARCCAP website: http://www.narccap.ucar.edu/data/missing/  There are no
such missing steps in the CRCM-CGCM3 Table 2 data.

For anyone who has encountered any confusion about coverage periods for NARCCAP
data, I recommend very strongly using tools that can interpret the time
coordinate as a date, rather than counting the number of timesteps from the
beginning of the file; it will make it much, much clearer what's going on, and
can help you avoid serious errors related to the calendar.

Cheers,

--Seth