[NARCCAP-discuss] extremely small precipitation value

Seth McGinnis mcginnis at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 12 12:01:54 MST 2013

Hi Jianhua,

All of the RCMs can put out very small precipitation values; those are the
values in the files, not a problem reading them into R.  The theoretical lower
limit is zero, so you should treat negative values as zero. (We have plans to
set them to zero in the published data at some point in the future.)

Whether you should use a trace threshold and ignore values below that level
depends on how you are using the data.  The conventional trace value used in
meteorological observations is 0.01 inches per time period.

Cheers,

--Seth