[NARCCAP-discuss] Questions on data for our project.

ping yang pingyang.whu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 21:56:24 MDT 2012

Hi Seth,

I tried to install the NCL and NCO on my machine, however, it seem that it
is not easy for the configuration, First I have difficulty in downloading
the binaries(it requires an OpenID, I created my account but still can not
get it).

I tried to download the NARCCAP data, but I didn't successfully find a way
to get it, here is always require an OpenID for the downloading, but I have
no idea how to get the correct OpenID, would you please let me know whether
you can give me some instruction or there are some materials?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

All the Best!

Ping

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Seth McGinnis <mcginnis at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi Ping,
>
> All the NARCCAP data is 3-hourly, so if you want daily and monthly
> averages,
> you'll have to do the averaging yourself.  The only exceptions are the four
> variables in Table 1, which are inherently daily values.  (We do have
> plans to
> make a number of monthly and seasonal averages and climatologies
> available, but
> they're not ready yet.)
>
> If you're an NCL user, I wrote a script ("aggregate.ncl") for creating
> various
> time-averages that you may find useful.  You can find it here:
> http://narccap.ucar.edu/contrib/tools/ncl/  It's also pretty easy to
> create
> those time-averages using the NCO command "ncrcat" and the multislab
> feature.
>  (Especially if you have NCO installed with udunits support, and can use
> date
> ranges for subsetting the time coordinate -- see my post to the
> narccap-discuss
> mailing list of about a week ago for more details.)
>
> To get the variables that you list, you'll need either to change units or
> calculate them from other variables, depending. The published data
> includes:
>
> * tas = surface air temperature in degK
> * pr = precipitation in flux units (kg/m^2/s)
> * ps = surface air pressure (in Pa)
> * clt = cloud cover (fraction from 0 to 1 -- look in Table 3 for this one)
>
> I wrote a couple shellscripts that use NCO commands to change units for
> temperature and precipitation.  You can find them here:
> http://narccap.ucar.edu/contrib/tools/util/  The "tas2temp" script
> converts
> degK to degC, and "pr2prec" converts precip from kg/m^2/s to mm/day.  The
> commands to convert ps files from Pa to mbar would be entirely analogous.
>
> Relative humidity can be calculated from specific humidity, temperature,
> and
> pressure (variables huss, tas, and ps).  There's an NCL script
> ("calc_humid.ncl", which also calculates dewpoint) in that
> contrib/tools/ncl
> directory on the website.
>
> I haven't had cause to calculate wet bulb temperatures yet, so I can't
> offer
> any tools to help with that yet, sorry.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --Seth
>

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:19:00 -0600
>  ping yang <pingyang.whu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >Dear NARCCAP users,
> >
> >I need data for the following items with daily step and monthly step:
> >
> >•Precipitation –Units (mm)
> >
> >•Surface Air temperature –Units (°C)
> >
> >•Surface Air pressure –Units (mbars)
> >
> >•Humidity (relative )
> >
> >•Wet bulb temperature –Units (°C)
> >
> >•Cloud Cover
> >
> >I looked into the NARCCAP data tables, actually there are so much
> [...]

Ping Yang, Ph.D.
CUNY Environmental Crossroads Initiative
Marshak Science Building - Suite 925
The City College of New York - CUNY
160 Convent Avenue, New York NY 10031