[NARCCAP-discuss] Snow Density and Download Error

Seth McGinnis mcginnis at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 22 16:43:48 MDT 2012

Hi Jonas,

My (limited) understanding is that, unless the model has an unusually
sophisticated snow algorithm, the density of snow in a climate model is
typically 0.1.  So you can convert snd (snow depth) to swe
(snow-water-equivalent) by simply dividing by 10.

I plan to check with the modelers at our PIs meeting in a couple weeks to find
out whether that's true for all the NARCCAP models.  If I find any exceptions,
I'll post to the mailing list about it.

As for the download problem, that sounds like a database error in ESG; I'll
pass it on to the ESG team.  Thanks!

Cheers,

--Seth