[NARCCAP-discuss] Need help in getting RCM data in text format

Seth McGinnis mcginnis at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 22 16:35:45 MDT 2012

Hi Somsubhra,

The best way to do that really depends on what you want to do with the data
after you've extracted it.  To extract data for a rectangular subregion, rather
than a single point, you can specify ranges of array indices instead of single
values. See the FAN documentation for details:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/fan_utils.html .  That will give
you four grid points, so you'll have to figure out a way to discard the values
from the one you don't want.  You may find it simpler to extract the data for
each of the three locations separately, and then combine them in whatever
software you're using to process the data.

I believe that ncdump and nc2text work just fine on Windows 7, but they're
command-line utilities without a GUI, so you need to invoke them from the
command prompt.  To access the command prompt in Windows 7, you can click the
Start button and search for "command prompt" or "cmd".

Cheers,

--Seth