[NARCCAP-discuss] Questions on data for our project.

Obeysekera, Jayantha jobey at sfwmd.gov
Mon Mar 12 13:44:57 MDT 2012

Hi Ping,

I have some experience with the variables you have asked about. I believe precipitation needs to converted from kg/(sec.m^2) to whatever units you need.  The units of other variables can be found on the NARCCAP site.  I used most of the variables to compute Evapotranspiration for Florida region. Chapter 4 of the report (see link below) has the details of NARRCAP work. For relative humidity I used the NCL routines. I used all data from 3-hourly data in Table 2 and converted them into the daily values.  I did not use cloud cover but found out that solar radiation is overestimated during summer (in Florida) because the RCMs, at least in my opinion, do not simulate the cloudiness correctly.

http://my.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/portal/xrepository/sfwmd_repository_pdf/ccireport_publicationversion_14jul11.pdf

Obey

Jayantha Obeysekera
Hydrologic & Environmental Systems Modeling
South Florida Water Management District
(561) 682 6503 (Office)
(561) 722 9994 (cell)