[NARCCAP-discuss] using ncea to generate averages

Cajka, James C. jcajka at rti.org
Tue Mar 6 13:44:37 MST 2012

Hello,

I am new to NetCDF data and the associated tools.  I have downloaded
some files containing 5 years worth of data, and want to create monthly
averages.  I am using the ncea utility which is part of the nco suite.
Although I have read through the syntax, I don't think the output files
are quite right.  Does anyone have any experience doing this?  I used

"ncea -F -d time,1,248,1 tas_MM5I_ccsm_2041010103.nc tas_jan_2041.nc"

and this seemed to work, but to create one for February I tried

"ncea -F -d time,249,472,1 tas_MM5I_ccsm_2041010103.nc tas_feb_2041.nc".

The data is in 3 hour increments, so for January I thought I needed 8 X
31 or the first 248 time slices.  Maybe I'm not understanding the data
format correctly.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jamie