[NARCCAP-discuss] Question on rsds and clt

Obeysekera, Jayantha jobey at sfwmd.gov
Mon Jun 4 05:27:54 MDT 2012

Hi Colleagues,

I was wondering if anyone have experience on the following variables:

1.Surface Downwelling Shortwave Radiation, rsds (Table 2)

2. Total Cloud Fraction, clt (Table 3)

I am finding that, at least for Florida, pretty much all NARCCAP models do not have the correct seasonality for incoming solar radiation (assuming it is simulated by rsds).  I have tried to use this variable to compute Evapotranspiration for water resources applications as a part of a paper I am writing on this subject. I suspected that it is related to the lack of skill in regional models to simulate cloud cover accurately. Consequently, I expected a good correlation between rsds and clt but find that it practically does not exist.  My work is documented in Chapter 4 of this report:

http://my.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/portal/xrepository/sfwmd_repository_pdf/ccireport_publicationversion_14jul11.pdf

Most work on the NARCCAP site is on precipitation and temperature. I was curious curios if anyone had worked on other variables such as rsds and clt. I appreciate any comments.

Obey

Jayantha Obeysekera
Hydrologic & Environmental Systems Modeling
South Florida Water Management District
(561) 682 6503 (Office)
(561) 722 9994 (cell)
 [LOGO_WATERUSE]

We value your opinion. Please take a few minutes to share your comments on the service you received from the District by clicking on this link<http://my.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/portal/pg_grp_surveysystem/survey%20ext?pid=1653>.