[NARCCAP-discuss] netcdf to raster files in ArcGIS

Philip Morefield Morefield.Philip at epamail.epa.gov
Thu Jul 19 12:37:32 MDT 2012

Risa-

When I started working with NARCCAP way back when, I ran into the same
problem you did. ArcGIS is too slow to convert thousands and thousands
of time steps.

I built a custom ArcGIS tool to process NARCCAP files. It's basically an
aggregation tool, so it generates monthly/seasonal/annual averages in a
matter of minutes, or even seconds. It's somewhat crude, but it does
work. In a few months an improved tool will be out that is more flexible
and has a better GUI.

I can provide you (or other interested parties) with the uglier version.
There are some caveats:
      The tool doesn't work with any of the ECP2 or HRM3/HADCM3 runs.
      ArcGIS problems there, which I believe have been discussed on this
      listserv.
      ArcGIS can't easily replicate the rectangular grid cells of the
      GFDL time slice run (I submitted a bug report about a year ago).
      The output is internally resampled to a square cells.
      Windows operating systems only. Installation rights will be
      needed.

If anyone is interested, let me know via email.

Phil Morefield

Geographer
Global Change Research Program
National Center For Environmental Assessment
Office of Research and Development
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
(703) 308-8135

(mailing address)