[NARCCAP-discuss] Wind Vectors

Jonas Roberts jonaspmr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 11:04:53 MST 2012

Hello,

Do the u and v components of wind (for all pressure levels) follow true
east-west and north-south or do they follow the i and j directions of each
projection? (the website leads me to believe its true east-west,
north-south, but I wanted to confirm)

The reason I ask is that I'm using GrADS visualization software to analyze
atmospheric moisture convergence for a variety of RCM-GCMs. GrADS does
interpolations from predefined projections (polar stereographic, etc) to a
standard lat-lon grid. As a part of this interpolation it assumes that the
u and v wind vectors of the pre-interpolated data follow along the i and j
directions respectively and not true east-west, north-south.

Thanks for your time,
Jonas Roberts
PhD Candidate
Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
Memorial University of Newfoundland