[NARCCAP-discuss] Snow Density

Seth McGinnis mcginnis at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 7 14:08:42 MDT 2012

Hi Jonas,

We've been looking into this, and it appears to be the case that the published
snow variables, regardless of whether they are named snd or snw, are actually
snow-water-equivalent.  The only exception is MM5I-ncep; I suspect that in that
case we have snow depth instead, but the modeling team is still investigating.

To resolve this confusion, we're going to convert everything to the same units,
clean up the metadata, and republish it as a new variable named "swe".  This
task is close to done, and I expect to publish swe files soon.  There will be
an announcement on the narccap-announce mailing list when it happens.

(I believe that the published snd files contain swe in units of meters, and the
published snw contain swe in units of millimeters, but email me if you find any
exceptions.)

Cheers,

--Seth