[NARCCAP-discuss] Model evaluation and bias correction

Shuang-Ye Wu swu526 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 10:24:56 MDT 2011

Hi all,

This question might be a bit lengthy, so please bear with me.

I am trying to use NARCCAP models to project possible changes in daily
precipitation pattern for a particular area.  The first step is to compare
NARCCAP model retrospective runs with observed station data.  The next step
is to correct bias based on this comparison, using some kind of scaling
methods.  My question is: should I use NCEP-driven runs or GCM-driven runs
for the comparison and bias correction?  I thought I should use GCM-driven
retropsective runs to evaluate the total bias from both the global and
regional models, and correct the total bias for future projections.  But
some suggest I should use NCEP runs for model evaluation, because I'd then
compare observation with NARCCAP models driven by observation data.  If
that's the case, should I do bias correction separately using GCM-driven
runs?  Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you!

Best,
Shuang-Ye