[mpas-developers] Run Time I/O layer

Michael Duda duda at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 27 17:49:23 MDT 2013

Hi, Doug.

If we were to develop a new stream handling module, which I think makes
sense, I'm able to convince myself that it shouldn't be much more
difficult to allow for the definition of new streams at run-time. The
mpas_io_streams module allows new streams to be arbitrarily
instantiated, so presumably appropriate data structures could exist in
the stream handling module to allow new streams to be instantiated based
on the contents of a file read at run-time. Furthermore, the field data
types contain the name of the field as a string, so there should be some
possibility of scanning through all fields defined in the Registry until
we find the one whose name matches that of the field to be added to a
new stream object based on the contents of a file.

So, I'd propose that we re-consider the requirement for build-time
definable streams, and require that everything be run-time definable.
This would make it easier, too, to define new streams in more
sophisticated ways, e.g., by saying that a new stream 'foo' is a
duplicate of an existing stream 'blah', but with a higher output
interval and without some of the 3d fields in 'blah', or only over a
high-resolution region of the mesh, which would have to be defined in
terms of a mask field -- something that I think we're considering
anyway.

Michael