[mpas-developers] updates to mpas_constants.F

Michael Duda duda at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 27 11:48:11 MDT 2013

Hi, Folks.

As part of a merge of changes from the atmos_physics branch to the
trunk, I'd like to update the shared module mpas_constants.F to include
the gas constant for water vapor plus a derived parameter equal to
Rv/Rd.  Additionally, a couple of constants that were previously defined
explicitly are now defined in terms of other constants; specifically:

old code:
   real (kind=RKIND), parameter :: cv = 716.  ! cp - rgas
   real (kind=RKIND), parameter :: cvpm = -.71385842 ! -cv/cp

new code:
   real (kind=RKIND), parameter :: cv      = cp - rgas
   real (kind=RKIND), parameter :: cvpm    = -cv/cp

Finally, I've added some comments describing the constants. Attached is
the mpas_constants.F that I'm proposing to commit to the trunk. I
realize there's a potential debate here as to whether we shouldn't have
a core-specific constants module, but for now, I'd like to avoid that
and make a small update to what currently exists.

Unless there are any objections or suggestions for improvement, I'll
plan to commit the new mpas_constants.F tomorrow.

Thanks,
Michael