[mpas-developers] COMMIT CHECK: Scratch super arrays, and properly allocated scratch variables

Doug Jacobsen jacobsen.douglas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 08:34:38 MST 2013

Hello all,

I have a small bug fix in this commit check, and a new feature.

In the way scratch variables currently work their dimSizes array is setup
just like any other field (with nCells for example). However, when normal
persistent variables are allocated, they are allocated with nCells+1 as the
size for this dimension.

I've modified the definition of scratch variables to have this additional
+1 be added into the dimSizes array for nCells, nEdges, and nVertices. This
allows easy copies between persistent and scratch variables.

Since scratch variables are not intended to be iro variables, I don't think
this will negatively impact any parts of the code, and it will make using
scratch variables a lot easier.

In addition to this bug fix, I've added the ability to create scratch super
arrays.

Any comments and questions are appreciated. If I don't hear back about this
by Tuesday I'll push it onto the trunk.

Thanks,
Doug