[mpas-developers] **NOTICE** PLEASE READ: Code Freeze

Doug Jacobsen jacobsen.douglas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 17:40:22 MDT 2013

*

Hello all,

The MPAS developers repository will be migrating from the current svn
repository we use to a new repository hosted on github. We are doing this
prior to the source release this summer in an effort to get all developers
accustomed to using this new environment.

As part of this migration, the current repository trunk will be “frozen” on
Friday April 19th. At this time, no more commits will be accepted to the
trunk. The new developers repositories will be set up on github and
developers will be required to migrate any work they intend to make part of
the MPAS code base to a github project.

Before developers can be added to the developers project on github, they
must make a new github account. Which can be done at www.github.com.
Developers should review the new Developers guide for a description of the
repositories and a typical workflow for the new repositories. We’ve also
tried to lay out our best practices for development of new code, and use of
the repositories so please review that as well.

Developers should notice the new repository is a git repository. Two
helpful references for this conversion can be found below:

http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html

http://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/

There are instructions for how to migrate a project from the current svn
repository to a git project in the Developers guide as well, so please
review them. In addition to migrating our repositories, we are also
migrating our mailing lists. You can speak with one of the core maintainers
in order to get added to the core developers list, in order to request
access to the main developers list either

visit this website: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mpas-developers

or send an email to mpas-developers+subscribe at googlegroups.com

If anyone needs help migrating work, Michael Duda and I will be more than
happy to help. But before contacting either of us, please review the
document.

The sections of the developers guide related to migration from the current
svn repository will move to the wiki once the repository is setup on
Friday. I will send out an email to everyone one the code is frozen and the
repositories are setup.

Thank you, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Doug

*