[mpas-developers] COMMIT CHECK: Don't fail if variables and/or dimensions are not present in input file

Doug Jacobsen jacobsen.douglas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 11:13:16 MDT 2012

After talking with Michael yesterday, we decided that the proposed method
was not the cleanest for handling variable and dimensions that were not
present in an input file.

I have attached a new proposal for this change. This includes a modified
mpas_io.F and mpas_dmpar.F.

Within mpas_io.F warnings are output to log.0000.err if a dimension or
variable is marked as input but not present in the input file.

Within mpas_dmpar.F the dimensions of a field are checked prior to
performing a halo exchange. If any of the dimensions are <= 0 the halo
exchange exits (meaning it doesn't cause the model to fail). Any use of
variables will still throw segfaults because you will be accessing an array
with a junk size, but the framework won't hinder your ability to have them
present.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions or comments about it. If not
I'll commit it tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks,
Doug