[mpas-developers] >4GB fields in MPAS

Michael Duda duda at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 28 17:13:44 MST 2012

Hi, All.

In order to support >4GB fields in the MPAS code, I'd like to commit to
the trunk the version of mpas_io.F that was just checked in to
branches/atmos_physics/src/framework. There is no impact on code outside
of the mpas_io module, and the changes are to simply type (and
type-cast) some integer variables as PIO_OFFSET kind.

In order to actually write large variables, which is different from
writing large files, one needs to use a file format that actually
supports this. I've been working with version 1.3.0 of the
parallel-netCDF library, which supports the NF_64BIT_DATA option in
addition to the standard NF_64BIT_OFFSET option in the regular netCDF
library.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, just let me know.

Michael