[mpas-developers] config_write_initial_output option

Mark Petersen mpetersen at lanl.gov
Thu May 10 15:51:34 MDT 2012

Michael,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I tested the ocean core using config_write_initial_output=.false. with
both single and multiple frames per output file, and both worked as
expected.  In both cases,
    mpas_output_state_init
is called the first time within a
   if(output_frame == 1) then
branch in mpas_*_mpas_core.F.  Is calling the initialization routine
your concern for multiple frames?

Your more general implementation of time frames sounds good.  It is
mostly a question of timing.  If you are thinking of making these
changes in the next week or two, I'm happy to wait and you can use my
branch if you like.  If it is a longer term improvement, I prefer to
merge this config_write_initial_output flag to the trunk so I don't need
to maintain a branch from which to run our large simulations.

Thanks,
Mark