[mpas-developers] Multiple Blocks Design Document

Doug Jacobsen jacobsen.douglas at gmail.com
Wed May 2 09:32:53 MDT 2012

Hi All,

I've been working on implementing the necessary changes within MPAS'
framework to allow the use of multiple blocks. These changes are rather far
reaching, and require a lot of design choices. I have implemented working
prototypes of several aspects of this project so far, but have not created
a working model.

At this point in the implementation process, I think I have a good idea
what all has to change in order to support multiple blocks. In order to
make sure that my design ideas are in line with everyone else's assumptions
about how blocks should be created I put together a quick design document.
I have attached both the tex source, and the pdf of this design document.
Please keep in mind while reading this that is it a rather rough design
document so far, and I created it mostly to get the conversation going to
ensure everyone is happy with the end product.

I left out the actual source changes that I have made so far for two
reasons. First they are rather large (in line number), and they touch
several files. If anyone is interested in looking at the actual code for
specific routines please don't hesitate to ask, and I can reference you to
the file with the changes in it. All of the work is being performed under
branches/omp_blocks/mulitple_blocks (as is referenced in the design
document). So, feel free to have a look at the code. Please note however,
that it is a work in progress and by no means complete. But it can give you
an idea of how I was planning everything to work.

I am also going to commit this design document to branches/omp_blocks/docs
so, if you want to read it from there feel free.

Please feel free to provide comments and questions in any way you would
like.

Thanks,
Doug