[mpas-developers] Block Decomposition Revision

Jones, Philip W pwjones at lanl.gov
Fri Jan 27 15:52:26 MST 2012

Doug,

Generally, I think it’s ok.  Couple of minor things below.  Michael is correct in saying we want to be careful about holding onto arrays that are proportional to either number of tasks/blocks, even if they appear small now.  Memory per node is not growing and on a per-core basis will continue to shrink. I suspect we will only need these functions on start-up/initialization and may be able to deallocate after this phase is complete (and then the functions would return an error).  Once we’ve set up communicators/patterns for halos, reductions and I/O, I don’t believe we’ll have a need for these sorts of global maps.  Even if we did dynamic load balancing, we’d typically be passing off a block or two from one task to another and can update locally without these global queries.  Maybe we can keep these around for now and worry about this later.

For minor issues:

Do we want this in the io namelist block?  I think there should be a general decomposition group rather than putting this in i/o.  (I have other naming preferences too, but that’ll open another can o’ worms).

The last para on page 6 of the pdf is missing something “wher is the number of proc”.  It appears in the tex input too, so it’s not a tex issue.

Phil