[mpas-developers] COMMIT CHECK: Issue with registry

Doug Jacobsen jacobsen.douglas at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 16:29:49 MDT 2012

Hi All,

We recently came across an issue with registry, where namelist variables
are truncated to be 32 characters in length. This is a problem when we have
really long prefixes for files like the block/proc decomposition files, or
even grid file names. The fix is pretty simple in the
src/registry/gen_inc.c file, but I wanted some input on the max length for
these variables.

Things like the input/output filename are truncated to 1024 within the MPAS
code (see src/framework/mpas_io_input.F) while things like the
decomposition filename are truncated to be 256 characters (see
src/framework/mpas_block_decomp.F).

It seems like overkill to make all strings 1024 (or even 256 for that
matter) but I was curious what everyones preference is. I have attached a
copy of gen_inc.c where I changed the truncation limit from 32 to 256 so
everyone can see what has to change, but feel free to provide input on the
max length for these strings.

Doug